What’s possible for you? For me? For our communities?
As I look out my window on a grey wintry day, I find myself thinking, “More is possible.” Not more stuff or more profit – not that kind of “more.”
More of the best we’re capable of as humans.
- Working for the common good
- Awareness of our impact on others and our planet
- Solutions that help everyone
- Listening with openness
- Civil discourse
That kind of “more.” We don’t have to settle for less than the best of our humanity.
Change is possible and it starts within each of us.
It’s my job to do my own inner work to be the best human I can be. For me, this starts with awareness - feeling what’s going on in me and around me, the good, the bad and the ugly of life.
When we allow another’s experience (or our own) in with awareness, it’s much harder to allow thoughts, words or actions that do harm.
Like a lot of people, my early years on the planet taught me not to feel.
- Not to feel the fear in the pit of my stomach
- Not to let the exuberance of joy bubble out
- Not to allow others’ pain to break my heart
There’s more but you get the idea.
My path the last five years has been about becoming more deeply present to what’s actually happening in me and around me. I believe that this capacity is central to our humanity.
“Man’s inhumanity to man” is only possible when we are cut off from ourselves, other people and our environment. When we can let in the feelings with awareness, MORE is possible. More goodness, aliveness and love. Less war, destruction and hate.
At this precarious point in our planet’s evolution, I ask you – What do you believe you can do to make yourself a better human? What is the “more” that’s possible for you? What’s keeping you from that?
Resources for your exploration:
- Mandy Embright’s “Stress to Serenity Guide”
- “Heart Warmer” practice
- Flint Sparks’ video talks
- Doug Silsbee’s blog. Start with this post on hope.
- My monthly newsletter. Scroll to the bottom of the page and enter your email address.
- Rick Hanson’s “Hardwiring Happiness” video
- Coaching focused on building these capacities. Contact me to talk about options or look at the list of Certified Presence-Based Coaches